About Harari

Geography and Demographic Features

The Harari region is located in the eastern part of Ethiopia, at a distance of 515 K.M from Addis Ababa. It stands as one of the nine regions in the federal structure. Geographically it is bounded by five woredas of the Oromia Region - Jarso in the north, Fedis in the south, Haramaya in the west, Gursum and Babille in the east.

The region lies in 90 11’49”- 90 24’42” North latitude and 42o 03’ 30”- 42o 16’ 24” East longitude. The total area of the region is 343.2 km2 and its altitude ranges from the Erer valley, which is of 1300 meters above sea level to the Mt. Aw-Hakim, with an elevation of 2200 meters above sea level. In addition the region is drained by rivers and streams that contribute highly to the socio-economic activities, namely Hida, Onga and Simit that are located in the north-eastern part and flow southward to River Erer, and the seasonal rivers of Aw Umar, Bishan-Buna, Segicha and Deje.

In general, the Harari People`s Regional State is a whole range in the subtropical climate (weyna dega) zone. Of which 90% is found in this climate zone and only the remaining 10% in the tropical (kola) zone. It also experiences an annual rain fall of about 700-800ml.

The Region is a mosaic one as it is inhabited by different religious and ethnic groups who live together with mutual understanding and tenderness. According to the 2007 National Census, the total population of the region is 183,344. The report indicates that the Harai ethnic group makes 8.65% of the total population of the region with 56.41%, Oromo, 22.77%, Amhara, 4.34%, Gurage, 3.87% Somali, 1.53% Tigre and 2.43% others. The religious composition of the population in the region is represented by 68.99% Muslim, 27.1% Ethiopian Orthodox Christian, 3.4% Protestant, 0.3% Catholic, and the remaining 0.2% from other religions.

The 2007 National Census indicates that, unlike other regions of Ethiopia, 54.17% of the total population lives in urban areas, and the remaining 45.83% in rural areas. The sex composition of the region is so close as males constitute 50.32% and the rest 49.68% are females. The same source indicates that 37.8% of the population is below the age of 15 years, 58.82% within 15-64 years, and the remaining 3.37% above 64 years. This shows that more than half of the total population of the region is within the productive age.

As forecasted by the Central Statistics Agency, the population in the region hits 232,000 in 2014/15.

Previously the region has 2 districts (Woredas), 17 sub districts (Kebeles) and 36 sub-localities (sub-kebeles). However, in 2015/2016, as per the approval of the Cabinet of the region, it is restructured with 9 Woredas that comprise 36 Kebeles.

Read 3591 times